QuickBooks Desktop Connection
QuickBooks Connection Manager is SSIS Connection Manager for establishing QuickBooks connections. Use the API to build components based on QuickBooks Connection Manager.
QuickBooks Desktop Edition Gateway
The installation includes application for remote web access of QuickBooks Desktop Edition database. The application is found in COZYROC installation sub-folder Tools. The name of the application is QbConnector.exe. Before you are able to work with the data for the first time, you have to enable QbConnector application to access the data in your QuickBooks Desktop application. Please review your QuickBooks documentation how to enable third-party access to your data. Use the options below to setup the gateway.
Specify network port. This port will be used by the remote clients to communicate with the server.
Specify log file to trace communication. Enable only during test because it will slowdown the communication.
Specify QuickBooks database connection mode. This property has the options listed in the following table.
|Default||Connect in the mode QuickBooks is already open (default).|
|Single||Connect in single user mode.|
|Multi||Connect in multi user mode.|
Specify what remote client addresses are allowed to connect to gateway. This property has the options listed in the following table.
|Any||Any remote client can connect to gateway (default).|
|Address||Only specified remote client can connect to gateway.|
Use Users tab to setup credentials of users, which can access the gateway. Optionally select user-associated company database file. If database file is not specified, the user will connect to the database currently open in QuickBooks.
Specify to use secure (HTTPS) protocol for communication. This property has the options listed in the following table.
|Disabled||The secure communication is disabled (default).|
|Embedded Certificate||The secure communication is enabled using the embedded X.509 certificate.|
|User-defined Certificate||The secure communication is enabled using the user-defined X.509 certificate.|
Specify after how many minutes of inactivity the QuickBooks database session is closed.
Specify to start the gateway when the application is opened.
In this section we will show you how to set up a QuickBooks Connection Manager to access QuickBooks Desktop Edition.
Configure QuickBooks to allow an external application to connect
- In QuickBooks, click on Edit and then select Preferences from the menu options.
- Select Integrated Applications from the list.
- Click on the Company Preferences tab.
- Ensure that the checkbox for “Don’t allow any applications to access this company file” is NOT checked.
- Click OK to exit the Preferences.
Configure and start the COZYROC QuickBooks Gateway.
This application must be run on the same server as the server where QuickBooks Desktop Edition is running. QuickBooks Desktop Edition does not provide any support for access over a network. Therefore, the COZYROC QuickBooks Gateway is used to provide that connectivity to your SSIS packages.
- Using Windows Explorer, find QbConnector.exe by adjusting this path for your server: C:\Program Files (x86)\CozyRoc\SSIS\Tools.
- Double-click on QbConnector.exe to open the application dialog.
- Click on the Security tab.
- Choose the appropriate security option for your environment. In this example we’ll choose Disabled. Note that if you select Disabled here, you will use http:// in front of the server’s address in step 35. If you select one of the security options that uses a certificate here, you will use https:// in front of the server’s address in step 35.
- Click Start.
- When the configuration dialog opens, enter the IP address of the server where QuickBooks resides with 3081 as the port. If you selected Disabled under the Security tab of the QB Connector, this should start with http://. If you selected one of the certificate choices, this should start with https://.
- Enter the User name and key for the user you set up in QuickBooks for this application to use. Enter the password in the key field.
- Ensure that you have the QuickBooks company file open in QuickBooks that you want to access.
- Click on Test Connection.
- If you chose Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running, then enter the User name of the account to be used to login from your SSIS package.
- You may or may not want to check the checkbox for Allow this application to access personal data such as Social Security Numbers and customer credit card information.
- Click Continue.
- If you go back into QuickBooks and look at the Integrated Applications settings in the Preferences, you will see that the User account used by your SSIS package now shows up as an application that has requested access to the company file.
Congratulations! You have successfully configured a QuickBooks connection manager.
Use the Server page of the QuickBooks Connection Manager dialog to specify properties for connecting to QuickBooks service.
- Test Connection
- Confirm connection manager configuration by clicking Test Connection.
Select QuickBooks deployment type. This property has the options listed in the following table.
Value Description Online QuickBooks Online deployment. Desktop QuickBooks deployed on premise (default).
Select QuickBooks Online connection token file. If token file doesn't exist, you have to create New... token.
Specify token file decryption password.
Specify the name or IP address of the QuickBooks service.
Specify login to access QuickBooks. The default for QuickBooks Online Edition: ssis.cozyroc.com
Specify connection key to access QuickBooks. For QuickBooks Online Edition (QBOE), review "How to get QuickBooks Online Edition connection key?" below.
Specify application identifier to access QuickBooks. For QuickBooks Online Edition this is mandatory parameter. The default identifier: 374225725.
Specify the number of seconds before timing out session connect. The default value of this property is 100 seconds.
Specify if all clients should use the same connection. This property has the options listed in the following table.
Value Description True All clients use same connection (default). False Every client use different connection.This property is not visible in the connection manager dialog.
Specify QBXML version to use with QuickBooks Desktop.This property is not visible in the connection manager dialog.
Use the Proxy page of the QuickBooks Connection Manager dialog to specify properties if your server is behind firewall.
Specify the name or IP address of the proxy server. If not specified, proxy server is not used.
Specify the port number on the proxy server to use for the connection.
Specify user name to access the proxy server.
Specify password to access the proxy server.
- Where can I find the documentation for the QuickBooks Connection?
- How to get QuickBooks Online Token
- DEPRECATED: How to get QuickBooks Online Edition connection key?
- Does COZYROC support TLS 1.1 and 1.2 protocols?
- How to trace HTTP(S) and REST API using Fiddler
- New: Updated QuickBooks Online web service proxy to version 43.
- New: A new parameter 'Start on Open' in QuickBooks Desktop Edition Gateway to automatically start the gateway when the application is opened.
- New: Support for QuickBooks Online sandbox environment.
- New: Support for QuickBooks Online OAuth 2.0 authentication.
- New: Updated QuickBooks Desktop web service proxy to version 13.
- New: A new parameter QBXMLVersion for use with QuickBooks Desktop connections.
- Fixed: Failed with error when using 'ItemSites' object (Thank you, Joel).
- New: Enabled support for TLS 1.1 and 1.2 protocols.
- Fixed: Failed to generate new token for the latest QuickBooks Online service.
- New: Support for QuickBooks Online Data Services.
- New: A new parameter 'Inactive sessions close' in QuickBooks Desktop Edition Gateway to close sessions after specified time of inactivity.
- New: Introduced connection.